It is my intention to use the best materials and construction
possible. I carefully select the wood for each piece to match
customer preferences "calm, wavy, curly, darker, lighter" etc.
Although drawer fronts will usually be cut from one board, I can
re-saw and bookmatch drawer fronts or tops for approximately +5%.
I often customize pieces for clients, a few inches longer, grain
matched this way, add a shelf here, etc. Slight additions or changes
typically only increase cost by +5%. Simple custom pieces from
scratch involve an average $480 design fee.
All tops, drawers, legs, cross rails and door rails are solid
wood. For drawer bottoms and backs, I use veneer core plywood.
I lay up my own premium extra thick selectively harvested book
matched curly cherry veneer into door and side panels, but am
happy to use 100% solids on request. I occasionally do figured
veneer work, inlay, etc. The cherry and walnut I use comes from selectively logged,
well managed, local farmersí woodlots. It is sawn under my supervision so I can
match pieces and sometimes rooms all from one tree. I have access to reclaimed and
rescued wood from barns, rivers and bogs, as well as certified wood from overseas.
For examples of different woods, click here.
Mortise and tenon joints are used on cross rails and bed rails.
Half blind dovetails are used for drawers. Tops are attached firmly
with a floating system to allow for seasonal expansion and contraction.
Standard Design Additions:
I often add the following design additions, priced here for convenience.
- Through tenons- setup $60, plus $25 each. (Note: the
Morris chair includes 4 through tenons on the arms.)
- Decorative through tenons- $12 each
- Square tenon pins - $8 each
- Hand made pyramid knobs - $10 each
- Corbels - setup $90 if custom, plus $20 each. (Note:
the Mission bed includes 4 corbels.)
- Step cutaway - $20 each
- Custom spaced dovetails - $120 setup, $15 per drawer.
- Blum Tandem Slides - $25 pair.
- Accuride slides - $10 pair.
- Accuride T.V. Tray - $100 each.
- Varnish finish - add 6% to each piece.
- Spray finish - add $150 to order
cutaway, walnut tenon pin